18IA: Building Iowa's Railroads

When the railroads came to Iowa, what rail baron ended as the richest? Now you decide. Based on the 18XX series of rail games, 18IA is a 2-5 player game that should take about 3-4 hours to play.

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Threw in the towel on ps18xx PostScript tile work

After much fiddling, I posted a request for help to the Yahoo group to see about making print-ready tile sheets. Several people, particularly the old hands, already have scripts that make this a breeze. I had hoped to figure it out on my own, but the sheer number of "Magic Numbers" inside the ps18xx files threw me for a loop. I'd also like to create and release to the public a script or front-end that makes this easier to generate.

I worked out how to adjust the scale, how to increase/decrease space between tiles, change/remove the page header, change font sizes on the tiles, add/remove tile numbers, change orientations, change labels, and so on. BUT I can't figure out how to adjust the number of tiles per row/column. I suspect the key is in the main drawing loop, but how precisely to do that (to make for exactly 4/5/6 columns of tiles instead of the normal 8, I couldn't work out.

Also eluding me was how to cause my edited file to be a multi-page document. I'm not sure if it's a defect in GhostScript, or in my own edited files, but all the pages after the first were blank.

The frustrating thing is that this could be so much easier. It would be fairly simple for a better web designer than me to generate a frontend where one checked boxes to select all the desired tiles, then chose where to put them. It would also be moderately challenging to create a graphical frontend for manipulating these files. Marco Rossi's Tile Designer readme files and webpage hint at the creation of an entire tileset generator, which would also create print-ready maps.

I've been experimenting with Inkscape, and that seemed interesting. I don't know how much work in it I want to re-create, but within 5 minutes of downloading it, I was creating perfect hexes, combining them into single objects, and so on. The tough part is going to be the roads, etc.

What works against everyone is the fact that most people don't inherently "get" the idea of vector versus raster graphics. My friend Larry and I were brainstorming yesterday when he came over to see the new baby. Earlier this year, I got him hooked on Paint.NET for raster work, but he still needs to flip over to Corel's stellar, $300 program to do vector work. I know that several of the train game experts use Corel Draw 10 as well. I've seen that at least one uses Visio, which I hadn't considered before reading that.

The final issue with file creation is that web users and playtesters, for the most part, need PDFs to print, rather than the original .ps or .eps or .svg files used to create the PDFs; PDFs are universally understood, and the original file-types are not. Lowering the barriers to trying your game makes it more likely it'll be playtested, and ultimately, that determines whether the game's a success.

I just keep thinking, "If I could create a good-looking map and good-looking tiles using a better, faster, automatic method than hand-drawing everything from scratch, I could halve the time it takes to create a working prototype. That'd also make it so much simpler to release a good-looking prototype, rather than a mediocre-looking one. The reduction in time to create a commercial print version would probably also be halved, though never having done so, I can't swear to that."

The home-grown tools used by the designers aren't new. They take what works, and add on new bits incrementally, but there are still major holes in the creation process.

Is this bad? Maybe. I read that Steam Over Holland, formerly known as 18IR, took about a year to go from prototype to final version. Interesting stuff.

5 Comments:

At January 2, 2008 at 7:12 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

My tip is to take a look at Xara Xtreme if you are interested in a vector drawing program.
I made Steam over Holland with this program. All of the graphics, tiles, board, stock certificates etc are drawn with Xara. It is very easy to use compared to Illustrator, the only other vector graphics program I have experience with.
Xara has a lot of import- and export option, including the option to create PDF files.
18IR was made with the basic version. When I started on the conversion to Steam over Holland for publicing, I bought the Pro version. This has the advantage of multi-page documents and it can create PDF/X files for commercial printing.
In the end I even did the layout of the manuals in Xara, it is not a very good text editor, but for layout work it works fine.
In my experience creating a decent looking prototype and posting it in PDF files on the web, will get you several volunteers for playtesting.
I am curious the see wich direction you will take your game, so far it sounds quite interesting, keep up the good work.

Greetings,

Bart van Dijk

 
At January 2, 2008 at 10:08 AM , Blogger Todd D. said...

Bart, you're the first designer to stop by! I've seen the reference to Xara on a design-tips list on BGG, but I hadn't downloaded it yet. I'll definitely check it out.

Thanks for your kind words. I hope to have a post-ready prototype within the next few weeks, but that depends on the free time I get.

 
At February 13, 2008 at 6:36 AM , Blogger jonpfl said...

When do you expect this game to be released?

I have always enjoyed shorter type 18xx games (3 to 4 hrs in length and would love to try this one)

Thx
jonpfl

 
At February 13, 2008 at 6:58 AM , Blogger Todd D. said...

Since this is my first 18xx title, I don't know how long it'll take to get totally ready.

I plan to release a limited playtest version to the 18xx group when it's a little more polished.

 
At August 25, 2013 at 12:47 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Have a look at XXPaper for all the other bits:

https://github.com/clearclaw/xxpaper

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home